The School of Allied Health Sciences (SAHS-UCC) was established in May 2015 to provide allied health education of the highest standards in Ghana and beyond. The School, which is part of the College of Health and Allied Sciences (CoHAS), has the mandate to produce allied health practitioners and researchers who are motivated to maintain excellence in all aspects of health care delivery. The School currently has eight academic Departments, namely Department of Medical Laboratory Science, Department of Optometry and Vision Science, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Department of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Imaging Technology & Sonography, Department of Health Information Management, Department of Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, and the Department of Sport and Exercise Science. These Departments have unique curricula that meet the developmental health care needs of a changing world.
The School presently offers the following undergraduate and post graduate programmes:
- 4-year BSc. Medical Laboratory Science
- 4-year BSc. Biomedical Sciences
- 4-year BSc. Physician Assistant Studies
- 4-year BSc. Dietetics
- 4-year BSc. Nutrition
- 4-year BSc. Sport and Exercise Science
- 4-year BSc Health Information Management
- 4-year BSc. Diagnostic Imaging Technology
- 4-year BSc. Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- 6-year Doctor of Optometry and Vision Science
- 4 Semesters (2 years) BSc. Health Information Management (Sandwich)
- 4 Semesters Post Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science (Sandwich)
- MPhil/PhD in Drug Discovery and Development
- MPhil/PhD in Parasitology
A school of excellence committed to training, service and research within the health sector.
The mission of the school is to:
- provide scholarly, creative and innovative training for allied health professions.
- conduct needs driven community-based health research.
- provide quality and evidence-based services within the expertise of the School.
- provide mentorship and professional development to allied health professionals.
The School is governed by the School Board which is made up of the following: Dean of the School as Chairman, Vice-Dean, Professors and Associate Professors within the School, Heads of Departments (HODs) within the School, one (1) elected representative from each Department within the School, one (1) representative from each school/faculty within the College, such other persons as may be determined by the School Board, and the Faculty Officer (FO) as the Secretary. The daily activities of the School are directed by the Dean, Vice-Dean, HODs, FO and the School Accounting Officer (SAO).